Thursday, September 25, 2014

My contribution to a MOOC on Play #FLplay

Quite a lot of my tweets, won't be about information literacy for the next couple of months, as I am one of the educators in a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) about Play. It is using the Futurelean platform, and the educators are all from my faculty, the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Sheffield. My colleagues come from a variety of departments with reseach expertise in different areas, such as play spaces, the history of play, disability and play, and so forth. I'm contributing the sixth week of seven, and focusing on play in virtual worlds, specifically Second Life. I also include a video about information behaviour, to introduce an information literacy exercise.
The play theme is not just about children; it is looking at aspects of play lifelong. It is exciting and also a little daunting (over 13,000 people have signed up for it!) It starts next Monday and you can find information here: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/play In the introductory video (on that page) I appear briefly as my Second Life avatar, Sheila Yoshikawa, which is how I present most of my week. As it's a MOOC, it is of course free!
The picture is my #toyselfie - as an introduction to the MOOC we are encouraged to tweet a picture of ourselves with a favourite childhood toy. THis is me with Lamby.

No comments: